Funding, Grants and Support in Hertfordshire
Herts Growth Hub Apprenticeship Incentive Grant
The Apprenticeship Incentive (AI) Grant enables businesses to recruit new or train existing staff through approved Apprenticeship programmes. Managed locally by the Hertfordshire Skills Brokerage Service, via the Growth Hub, this grant is available to businesses employing between 10 and 249 staff with the aim of creating new jobs within the county.
Businesses are entitled to receive £1,500 for each apprentice they recruit and can claim up to two grants.*
Is my business eligible?
Yes, if you:
- have your main business address in Hertfordshire
- employ between 10 and 249 employees in the UK
- haven’t have had an employee start an apprenticeship in the last 12 months
- commit to employing your apprentice(s) for a minimum of 12 months
- agree to pay the apprentice in line with legal minimum requirements or more
Are my employees eligible?
Yes, if they:
- haven’t started on their Apprenticeship programme prior to the AI Grant application
- enrol on an apprenticeship framework recognised by the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA)
- live in England
When do I get the grant?
Employers qualify to receive payment of the grant once a qualifying apprentice has completed four weeks of their apprenticeship programme. The Skills Brokerage Service will transfer AI Grant funds directly to you once the four week qualification point has been met and your AI Grant Claim Form has been received. This payment can take up to six weeks.
Payment is made by BACS in the form of a grant and is therefore exempt from VAT.
How do I apply?
Please contact the Hertfordshire Growth Hub on 01707 398168 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
One of our Skills Advisers will then contact you to arrange an appointment.
You will need to complete and sign a Company Training Plan with your Skills Adviser to validate your apprentice(s) starts.
The Skills Brokerage Service is part funded by the European Social Fund (ESF) and runs from January 2017 until July 2018.
*You do not have to wait 12 months between the first and second applications, but only one grant will be paid per employer for any particular individual.